Friday, May 15, 2026

Spring Break 2026

 I do realize I haven't posted very much about the trip we took to St George's Island and the places we visited on the way there.  It's so overwhelming when you don't write it down as it happens, and I was a little bit out of my comfort zone sometimes.  Once you stop travelling, it's hard to get back in the groove.

I don't have time to record it all, but I am looking at some pictures this morning of the Malaga Hotel in Mobile where we stayed for one night.  I could have stayed there much longer, even with the mini shower in my bathroom.  

I'm trying to reimburse Emily and Ryan for my expenses, and it's hard when they won't tell you what they are.  I did stay in my own room 3 nights, so I'm having to do a little research and find out how much I spent.  

I'll have to go back and find out where we stayed in New Orleans.  It had character for sure, but we were all exhausted and got in so late and left so early we didn't have much chance to enjoy it.

But I do remember this place.  The Malaga Hotel.  I sometimes didn't know exactly where we were, but I do know this was on Church Street near Government and close to downtown.  


The inviting room on the first floor, right corner was my room with a little balcony out the front French door.  I think it was called a Historic Suite and part of an original hotel (just overhearing some of the conversation about rooms as we were checking in).  It was perfect for me, and I enjoyed relaxing and being by myself for a little bit. The family stayed on the second floor. 

These are the pictures I took, but this website has a lot of pictures and reviews.






I wasn't the only one tired after a long day of car travel and car games with way too much luggage surrounding us.  We knew - and still carried too much!
 


I have to say the courtyard was my favorite spot.  I may already have these pictures posted, but we enjoyed the fountain and the flowers and just the quiet.  We saw very few people there even though they were pretty full.  


We were impressed by the beds.  Not your usual hotel beds but so very comfortable.  No complaints by me!


The little bathroom was fine, even if a little bit smaller than we're used to.  


We enjoyed exclaiming about the size of the shower - probably smaller than an airplane bathroom.  It takes a little planning, for sure.  Hot water though - which is something we did not have in the New Orleans hotel - not even a little bit in my room.  



I took my book along but read maybe two pages on the plane rides there and two more at each hotel.  Then it was lights out for me!


This looks like the former front entrance before all the additions. My room is there under the stairs.


The next morning, I found a cup of coffee and brought it to the courtyard.  Unfortunately, they only supply the bare necessities of a breakfast, and that's a carafe of already-made coffee.  I was late getting there, so I refused a fresh pot just for me.
 
I did read a few more pages of my book, but I was more interested in walking around looking at the flowers and smelling the fragrant plantings.  I didn't mind that it was a really warm day either!


I found this spooky-looking stairwell in my exploring.  I don't even want to know what's down there.



Emily and I found a few flats of plants over in a corner that we had to resist finding a hose and watering.  Overall, the garden was beautiful, but we worried about those neglected ones.

It was such a nice place, and I wish I thought I would get to go back one day.  I did leave my new phone charger plugged in, something I thought I had trained myself NOT to do.  


No comments:

Post a Comment